Physical Education

Years 7 & 8:

 

Aims of the PE department:

  • To be physically active for sustained periods of time.
  • To increase knowledge on the importance of following a healthy active lifestyle.
  • Develop skills in a wide range of physical activities including team and individual sports.
  • To engage students in competitive sports and provide opportunities to develop skills in a wide range of extra- curricular clubs.

Students will develop a range of fundamental and basic skills. This will help to develop their knowledge and understanding in performing in a competitive environment and build their knowledge of how do adapt to the demands of changing environments in different sports and physical activities. There will be a strong focus on developing health and fitness and students will understand the importance of this for leading a healthy lifestyle. The sports academies will be fully formed, and specific rugby/netball pathways will be followed focusing on specific tactics and strategies.

Practical activities:

  • Baseline skill and fitness tests (this is to assess student’s current physical ability)
  • Rugby & Netball (higher ability groups will do this for 1 term)
  • Football, Fitness, Basketball, Badminton, Athletics and striking and fielding activities (Students will change activities every half term)

 

 

Year 9 & 10:

 

Core Physical Education

  • To be physically active for sustained periods of time.
  • To increase knowledge on the importance of following a healthy active lifestyle.
  • Develop skills in a wide range of physical activities including team and individual sports.
  • To engage students in competitive sports and provide opportunities to develop skills in a wide range of extra-curricular clubs.

Students will continue to develop a range of complex sporting skills in a variety of physical activities. This will help to develop their knowledge and understanding in performing in a competitive environment and build their knowledge of how do adapt to the demands of changing environments in different sports and physical activities. There will be a strong focus on developing awareness of tactics and students will understand the importance of leading a healthy active lifestyle.

The sports enrichment academies will be fully formed and specific team training and tactics will be the main focus.

Practical activities:

  • Rugby & Netball (higher ability groups will do this for 1 term)
  • Football, Fitness, Basketball, Badminton, Volleyball, Rounders, Cricket and Athletics. (Students will change activities every half term)

 

 

GCSE Physical Education (OCR Year 10 or 11 – 1 Year Course)

 

What will you study?

The initial theory aspect of the course will include applied anatomy and physiology and socio-cultural issues in sport.

Students will learn about participation, body systems, biomechanics, fitness testing and sports psychology.

During the one year course, all students will participate in a range of individual and team sports to develop their basic skills, comprehension and tactics / awareness.  In addition, they will analyse and evaluate their performance in a physical activity.  This will form the basis for their assessed piece of coursework.

How is it structured?

The course is taught over one year, 6 periods per week.  The course will be broken down as follows; 4 periods of theoretical PE and 2 periods of practical PE.

How would I be assessed?

There are two written theory exams lasting an hour each (60% in total).  The other 40% is made up of 3 practical activities and the piece of assessed coursework.

 

The school teaches both codes of Rugby and has an excellent link with Featherstone Rovers who provide coaching staff to support in lessons and deliver Cheerleading lessons.

 

 

The Featherstone Academy